1. How many people do you have on the Aspen Snowmass course?
24- 30 Rookies over all courses.
2. What are the group ratios?
There will be 4-6 Rookies per group.
3. Does the course supply food at all?
The course does not include food costs.
4. Do we need to bring any bedding or cooking gear?
Accommodation is furnished and fitted out with basic cooking gear.
5. Do I need jacket and pants?
Yes. You will need to train in your own ski/ride gear.
Visas, Qualifications & Job Prospects
6. If I am over 30 can I still get a work visa for the USA?
Yes, ski schools will sponsor you in on an H2B work visa, there are no age restrictions that we know of.
7. Is PSIA/AASI certification acknowledged in all places or do some want other training as well?
PSIA and AASI level 2 are acknowledged international qualifications. Some countries ask for fully qualified instructors, which means: level 3.
8. What are my chances of passing?
We have been training people for instructor exams since 1992, since that time we have averaged a 90% pass rate.
9. What are the employment opportunities like for me after the course?
Excellent, over the last 5 to 6 years we have developed a network of ski and ride schools throughout America, Canada and New Zealand that will employ our clients on our recommendation.
10. Am I guaranteed a job at the end of the course?
NO. We do reserve the right not to recommend someone for a position overseas if we feel they will potentially damage a relationship we have with that ski school. This is a rare, though.
11. How much will it cost to set myself up with new gear?
Depending on what you buy, expect to pay US$1000-$1500. (See ski gear guide or snowboard gear guide.)
12. What do you get paid as an instructor?
Pay rates vary considerably depending on the qualification you hold and resort policy but, roughly speaking, you can expect to get:
- Unqualified - $10.00
- Level 1 - $11.50
- Level 2 - $13.00
- Level 3 - $16.00
If you get a request private lesson this can pay 1.5 to 2 times your hourly wage.
13. When can I arrive?
Arrive on the date your course starts. We do not begin training until the first Monday so the initial 2-3 days are there for you to settle in. If you arrive earlier, you will have to organize your own accommodation until your course starts.
14. When do we leave?
If you are with us all winter, you should plan to leave when Aspen closes. Aspen closes mid April so a departure date of April 15th should be a good date.