Ski Courses
Snowboard Courses
Immigration & Insurance
Locations >  USA – Aspen Snowmass > Immigration & Insurance

Immigration and Insurance Requirements for Copper Instructor Courses

Getting the Paper Work and Getting Covered? You’ll Need To Sort Out Your Visa and Get Yourself Some Insurance…

Getting the right insurance and sorting out any visa requirements imposed on visitors to the US from your country is an essential part of preparing for your instructor course.

Insurance For Your Time In The U.S.

You will need comprehensive travel insurance with full health cover to do a Rookie course. A couple of options are below however you should talk to your travel agent about local options.

Visa Requirements

If you are looking to travel to the USA there are several visa options. The simplest is entering America on a visa waiver which allows you to stay for 3 months. You do not have to apply for this visa.

If you wish to stay longer you will need to apply for a B2 visa (holiday visa). This requires a visit to the US Consulate in your home country. This B2 visa allows you to stay for 6 months and is extendable for another 6 months without leaving the US.

  • Pleasure, Tourism, Medical Treatment – Visitor Visas (B-2) -
    If the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, and participation by amateurs, who will receive no remuneration, in musical, sports and similar events or contests, then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.
  • If you are going to the U.S. primarily for tourism, but want to take a short course of study which is recreational (and not for credit towards a degree), and the course is less than 18 hours per week, this is permitted on a visitor visa. As an example, if you are taking a vacation to the U.S., and during this vacation you would like to take a two-day cooking class for your enjoyment, and there is no credit earned, then this would be permitted on a visitor visa. A consular officer will determine the visa category you will need based on the purpose of your travel, and your supporting documentation.
  • Our courses are not vocational studies within a recognized vocational school, polytechnic or community college. Rookie Academy also cannot qualify for the issuing of M1 visas (I-20M-N) for a variety of reasons in particular the recreational nature of our courses and lack of hours per week.

J1 Student Visas

If you are looking to work during your stay then the J1 visa (student visa) is required. We are currently working with a company that issues J visas however to secure this visa you will need to meet certain requirements. Let us know if you are interested in securing a J visa.

Note: there are no guarantees with the success of visa applications/approvals.

Book your course
Each course has limited numbers. Book now to secure your place.
Contact us today
We'll get back to you within 48 hours.
Meet the trainers
Get to know our crew

James says...
"I am now a month into my new career as a snowsports instructor and absolutely loving it!! None of this would have been possible without the [...]"

Photos & Videos
Check out more sick action in our galleries